A little over a year ago I started this blog with an
intention of posting something at least every week. It’s been languishing since
then without any daily input from me…not even a single post. There are a number
of excuses for this: inertia, other stuff happening in life, the daily
routine…but mainly I think it is because I did not know where to make a
dramatic start. Should I ‘start form the very beginning’? Would that end up
reading like a textbook on Down’s syndrome? Do I make this anecdotal? The list
goes on.
![]() |
| Damini, at her favourite pastime. |
This blog is about being Damini’s mother. What makes our
relationship a little unique is that Damini has Down’s syndrome. She is
currently 15 years old but her appearance is that of a 9 to 10 year old.
You will rarely find her in anything other jeans and t-
shirt. While the cut and colour of the jeans are negotiable, she specifically
prefers T-shirts that are black and display loud, indecipherable graphics on
the front.
Her most prized possessions are i-pod and headphones, her bicycle
and a sheet of paper with the names of some people in her life written in her
messy scrawl. As this piece of paper becomes ragged, a fresh one replaces it. The
names that appear on this list, I am beginning to understand, are people whom
she considers her friends. It started out with four names:
Das – he takes her to all her class and is her biking and
hockey buddy.
Tapa – our gardener.
Yashoda - our housekeeper.
Rosemarie – her facilitator of 7 years.
Subsequent versions have come to include Sapin, Rosemarie’s
son as well as names of characters from her favourite movies. How she decides
which names to include on the list are a mystery to me, as all executive
decisions are exclusively by her.
I am yet to feature in this list. I guess I am just mom.

Lovely!
ReplyDeleteFret not, like all parents,you become 'friend' after her teens, maybe later. And a best friend you will be.
P.s. I, like many teens, LOVED black tees of Prince, GNR, Queen, etc. Such rebellious bands don't exist,hence the "indecipherable" tees.
Great start! Does Ranbhir Kapoor figure in the list or is it just 'batameez dil' that caught her fancy ?!
ReplyDeletehad she known me when i was her age, i would've featured top onn her list, for gleefully sliding down the mudpile beginnings of Mangala stadium and getting our butts scraped like i did with her mom :) not to mention looking for butterfly cocoons in the wilderness of little "thumbe"plants that abounded the front of her home...
ReplyDeleteno RK does not as well.
ReplyDeleteYou're an awesome mommy and I'm so looking forward to your posts
ReplyDelete