I was recently
at a friend’s place for dinner, and I don't really remember how it got there,
but the conversation turned to “What
would you do if you knew beforehand that your child was going to be born with a certain disability?” (Rather depressing party conversation, I agree). The
responses ranged from “It's not morally right to terminate such a pregnancy” to
“I would feel like I'm murdering a life if I ended it”. I think most people
sitting there forgot that I have a daughter with Down syndrome.
Coincidentally,
I had happened to have recently seen a video featuring people with Down syndrome
that was evidently created to sensitise the public to their lives. It was
quirky, humorous and warm…until the very end, at which point it decided to
question the ethics of prenatal testing for anomalies, and the decision to
terminate such pregnancies. The message shifted from “Understand who we are” to
“We have a right to be born, we are just another kind of people!”
After nineteen
years of parenting a person born with challenges, I have a question:
Why do we
ascribe morality and ethics to a person’s decision to have or not have a child
with known disabilities and challenges?
I don't know about
everyone else, but the first thing I did when both my girls were born was to
count their fingers and toes. And every time they opened their eyes for the
first few days, I waved all kinds of things, from my hands to stuffed toys, in
their faces to ensure they could see. I also snapped fingers, sang (rather
discordantly), and clapped all around them to figure out if they could hear.
I needed to
reassure myself that they were visibly normal. I’ll wager that most people feel
the same way. Everyone desires a ‘normal’ child.
When we found
out that Damini had trisomy 21, we heard every well meaning sentiment from “She
is god’s child”, and “You are the chosen one”, to “You are blessed!”
I really appreciated
the people who just said “Oh”.
The thing is,
you never quite know the extent of a challenge beforehand. Imagine you have a
lifetime of painfully discovering them:
-
When
the developmental chart races ahead of your child
-
When
you find out how difficult it is for your child to communicate with or without
words
-
When
ceilings are reached rather quickly in cognitive capabilities
-
When
each skill is painstakingly acquired over more years than you can count only to
be lost in a couple of weeks of negligence
-
When
your child is sick more often than the rest of the world
-
When
toilet training takes as much time as it takes for everyone else to learn rocket
science
-
When
you realise that your child may never learn to express his joy, anger, fear,
hurt in socially acceptable ways
-
When
you have to build your child’s self esteem in a largely indifferent environment
-
When
your child is unable to involve socially with their peer group
This list only
gets scarier.
How does one
cope?
We put on our
game faces, and employ any one, or a combination of the following:
-
Pray
to all kinds of gods
-
Never
give up the hope for a miracle cure
-
Learn
to stuff our egos in our shoes, as it comes in the way of cajoling our child,
begging for our child, and persuading the world to acknowledge our child
-
At
least one person in the family puts his or her ambitions and plans on the back
burner permanently, puts on a game face, and starts convincing him/herself that
this is very fulfilling
-
Become
pushy and grabby on behalf of our children because they cannot do it for
themselves, and society really appreciates that in the regular population….
only it's called ‘ambition’
-
If
we can afford to, hire a whole bunch of people to outsource their development
to
-
Form
associations with other parents of similar impairments
-
Save
up every ounce of patience for this one person, and have none left for everyone
else in your life including perhaps your ‘normal’ child
-
Learn
to live with the giant lump in our throats most of the time
-
Put
up a brave, even defiant facade for the world
-
But
mostly, we just get on with the seemingly impossible task of making our kids
independent and productive members of society
The things we
say to assuage ourselves
“Our life is so
much better because of her”
“Even normal
kids have challenges”
“Just another
way of being”
“I wouldn't have
it any other way”
What ever you
say or do, there is no avoiding the frustration you feel watching your child
struggle to catch up. No avoiding the helplessness when you watch your daughter
stand on the fringes of a social group not knowing how to be a part of it. No
avoiding the anger when you ‘perceive’ indifference towards your child. No avoiding
the fear that someone might take advantage of your child. No avoiding the
overwhelming thought that there is no let up in this role ever.
Most of all you
worry. You worry about “what's going to happen to her after you”.
I don't know how
one can romanticise all of this. I cannot understand propaganda that seems to
suggest that there should be more of ‘us’. Let's not forget that there is
nothing normal about this. These are aberrations from the normal. I'm fairly
certain that, given a choice, almost all parents of children with special needs
would want their kids to be born with normal genes, physiology and
capabilities. Heck, I would any day exchange my daughter’s chromosomes for a
limited set of 46.
The next time
I'm the ‘Chosen One’ I’d like to be chosen to win a big lottery, or to be a
famous movie star some such thing. For I know that had I known about Damini’s
trisomy 21 beforehand, I would seriously have considered not having her.
So let me flip
the question.
How noble or
ethical is it to choose for an unborn foetus with known genetic anomalies, a
life of constant struggle, in a world that is at best patronising, and at worst
hostile, but mainly indifferent?
I've known some
regular kids, in the throes of adolescence, to turn around and tell their
parents,
“I did not ask
to be born”.
Meanwhile, let's
take the moral judgment out of such a decision.
-->

This write up makes me think. Thank you for the brilliant post.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandhya, for this wonderful blog! It makes one think, but mostly leaves me speechless with awe!
ReplyDeleteI admire your honesty!
ReplyDeleteEasy to be moralistic when you don't have to be responsible for such children. Your point about whether a child chooses to be born at all in such circumstances is so correct. It is not fair to the child.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same. It's hard, if one is normal to make it in this world! In this world of selfishness, struggle for decent health care, supportive care, and plainly care of the child whatever age, if something were to happen to the parents; such thoughts of taking morality of not having a child with disability has always been my arguement.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post Sandhya - really makes us think multiple ways - so honest and forthright
ReplyDeleteParenting is not a cakewalk in the present world.Most parents make the utmost sacrifices possible for their children.
ReplyDeleteMorality issues of parenting should be left to the parents only to decide upon.
A beautiful and sensitive piece of writing!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and sensitive.
ReplyDeleteI think this is one of the most honest posts I have read on this topic. I really admire you for it.
ReplyDelete. Thank you for this.🙏🏾
ReplyDeleteNice writing.
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely a challenge to decide on the future of an unborn child, when you know there are too many hurdles ahead. Knowing that many "normal" children are being maltreated by the society and also parents themselves, there is no right or wrong decision.Ethics is just a projection of society's rules and mentality of people who enforce them. Parents are always parents.
Awesome Post. With population explosion and with us not being around to take care of our Special Child forever, I think we should not bring the child to this world if we already know the foestus is abnormal.
ReplyDeleteGood write up.
Very frank. It's easy for others but not for those who actually have to take up the responsibility. One thing is for sure: don't be judgemental or sentimental.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for adding your points of view.
ReplyDeleteYou are miles away,n this moment in my life I wish to hug u tight ,n trust me my friend ...I know how u feel. For all the sleepless nights we encounter,a sea of tears,n the silent sigh... For I know not know...how to ease your pain.. but I promise to hold utight...while u wipe your tears and smile again. From another mom...miles away
ReplyDeleteStraight from the heart, no holds barred, just like Damini. Sandy kudos for the way you have raised Damini and for your write up
ReplyDeleteStraight from the heart, no holds barred, just like Damini. Sandy kudos for the way you have raised Damini and for your write up
ReplyDeleteIn complete agreement to thoughts of Sandhya! We experience the same.
ReplyDeleteDear Sandhya,
ReplyDeleteBrilliant post. I am also facing similar situation. Being father also has been more challenging. People assume that since wife is there to take care of the disable child hence father is free of worries. Also a father is considered weak if he shares his child's problem with others. Such a child actually jolts your self esteem and confidence in life.
Hi Sandhya,
ReplyDeleteVery nicely and honestly written. When a child gets the flu or fever, lot of parents get stressed - but that's nothing compared to the stress of taking care of a child with Down Syndrome. Admire the effort you have put into raising Damini.I work at MedGenome, and we help couples/parents with prenatal testing. Would like to connect with you and discuss if we could engage together to make people more aware. Please connect with me at robin.a@medgenome.com
OH. Heartbreaking to see the struggle that these children and their families go through (yes, the sibs, aunts, uncles, grandparents too). Indeed you are right, we can't attach moral judgements to the parents decision either way. And yes too to the fact that there is anxiety attached to the thought of them outliving their parents. As per jungle law in the animal world only the fittest are allowed to survive and natural selection takes place. And despite all parenting instincts - it must often be so hard (not challenging but oh so very hard). Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHeartfelt. Downs Syndrome. Abortion is a valid personal choice. No morals. ��
ReplyDeleteStraight from the heart.... honest to the core!! appreciate hearing the truth... no one can really be moral about it!!
ReplyDeleteSorry I disgree & I say this as a parent of a 23 yrs young person with DS.
ReplyDeleteSure enough raising a child with special needs requires us to recalibrate our life goals but do we really "put on a game face"? Do we regret the "permanent back-burnering of ambition"? Do we learn to live with the "giant lump in our throat"?
No. We LEARN TO LIVE, period. Every experience of life helps us learn to live and so does our child - "normal" or "special". If it helps us "stuff our egos in our shoes", lets thank our child for that.
That child is LIFE presenting to us all its richness. It adds a new dimension our conditioned, uni-dimensional view of life.
Actually a meaningless question but if I did have the ability to go back in time and make the choice again, I will choose her without hesitation.
And if I may add, there are examples of some young couples ADOPTING children with special needs - in complete AWARENESS of the challenges that lie ahead. They are setting an example not only for the rest of the society but for some of us parents too.
DeleteGreat post. I liked it.
DeleteThat's a beautiful response Rakesh. I do not have the right to judge a parent that has the responsibility of raising a special needs child. I however, admire your response. It is said that no relationship is random and everything is purposeful.
ReplyDeleteWe live in a terribly competitive world..and yes it's a very realistic and scary thought what will happen to the child once ure gone..a few of my friends have children with special needs and let me tell u it's a struggle to bring up the child and yes they try their level best to give the best therapy classes schools to their children in the hope that they can merge into what we call society....but I have felt their pain and fear ..don't get me wrong they love their children but it's painful to watch them being scared of what will happen to their children when they r gone..so yes please let's keep morality out of the situation...beautifully written article ..I admire your grit and honesty ....
ReplyDeleteLoved it Sandhya. I too am a mother of a girl with DS. She is 10 and I totally agree with your post. I am a part of many groups and know for a fact that whenever something like this gets discussed, the parent is almost criminalised for harbouring or even thinking such things. Which is ironical, since the other parents should understand the most difficult initial years. Anyway I loved your post.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is my heart and soul but if I could choose to take her extra chromosome away...I'll do it in a heartbeat.
Also I write about the experience of raising my daughter on www.twominuteparenting.com. You are welcome to visit it sometime.
Will do
DeleteI hear you ����. My daughter and me have been debating discussing and pondering over rights as a human .. are we really free ? I am going to ask her to speak with you .. my email isamazingnivs@gmail.com. Can you please send me your contact details ?! And no one could have penned my thoughts better than you have .. I am with you on this one ❤️
ReplyDeleteWonderfully said. The honesty cuts through and I think it's important to take the romanticism out of this.
ReplyDeleteI want to hug you for writing this.Im a special ed and everyday I see the struggle of parents and their children.we dish out crap like' special children are born to special parents blah blah blah...' It is heartbreaking for the child as well as the parent...and so so difficult.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for telling the truth . But then ......there are people and people ......from all walks of faith and life .....who will always decide . Always .
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Sandhya, really appreciate your honesty.
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy to point a finger and be judgemental these days - who takes the trouble of actually finding out the pain of those living with disability in the family?
It's hard to convince people that pre-natal genetic testing and any decision thereafter should be a personal choice.
Well said!
Will share. Thank you.
Straight from the heart this! It's not easy putting it down using words... believe me I tried! As a parent to a gifted child with asynchronous development the story is all too achingly familiar. Yes it gets overwhelming. Yes there are good days. And bad days. Yes we wish we had 'normal'. Specially so living in such a judgemental society. But it was the hand we were dealt with. We need to make peace with it. And carry on the best we can. For me, my son with all his challenges is a joy to be with. I would have chosen no other.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love you for this one. I have down's son 18 years now. It felt someone is writing my heart out. YES . I hate it still when people say that I am the God,s chosen one. And yes he is a bundle of joy to me and the two older children I have but given a chance I certainly would not have chosen him.
ReplyDeleteYou are a brave lady Sandhya... to be able to state the brutal truth... most people indulge in ideological thoughts, but very few like to think about the situation practically.
ReplyDeleteEnded up reading the entire blog after this post... you are blessed with two angels, and they are extremely lucky to have a strong woman like you to be looking over their shoulder...
Your post made me cry Sandhya...In my opinion, carrying a fetus with down syndrome and then giving birth to a baby who is not "Normal" knowingly is actually cruelty towards that baby. As I think, given a choice no baby would like to come in this world with such gross abnormalities. They cannot take any decision..they cannot do anything about it..but we can..and we should do them a favor by terminating the pregnancy. We all know, how difficult and painful it is for the kids with down syndrome...they only suffer and hey make their families suffer too. And preventing a child and his/her family from sufferings can never be unethical or immoral..at least I don't think so..
ReplyDelete