![]() |
| At the Velvi Art Festival |
![]() |
| At the Velvi Art Festival |
![]() |
| At the Velvi Art Festival |
![]() |
| Travel buddies |
![]() |
| Working at French Curve |
Last April, Damini formally joined
the workforce. For three days a week she works at Mitti Café, a chain of cafes
that has a mixed hiring policy. She also continues to work a couple of days at
the designer’s as her office assistant. She has ‘work’ friends and a salary to
fund her biriyani addiction. Over the years, there had been glimpses of a
wistful desire for a life like her sister and cousins’ through the perennial
happiness of her days, a desire to interact with the world without
interpreters, facilitators and mediators. Now she gets to do that five days a
week.
The fundamental and scary shift is
that Damini went from a safe, predictable and curated exposure of people and
situations to one that is a lot more unpredictable and out of control. There
was no way we could whet and filter and prep the people that she would interact
with.
The uncomfortable truth of this
entire experience is that while Damini just went out there without missing a
stride, it threw up for me insecurities, thoughts and notions some of which I never
knew I harboured:
-
The need for my daughter to be perfect at her
work lest the cafe decides that she does not pass muster
-
The worry that Damini might do something
embarrassing
-
The overwhelming urge to save her from any
ridicules and hurt
-
The notion that the onus of being understood, ‘perceived
well’ is all on Damini
-
‘This is a referendum on my effectiveness as a
parent’
The last one was the most
uncomfortable of all.
It took effort to make peace with
the fact that she might do things wrong and she might get hurt. She would just
have to learn to deal with it like anyone else. If people do not get her or
find her ‘strange’ it’s their problem to deal with. The world by and large
is supportive. Mostly it just needs help with the how of it
And the reason Damini adapted to
this change with such aplomb was because she was handicapped by none of the
above.
There is such freedom in responding
to every moment and person with nothing but anticipation. It also scripts how
people deal with her in return. Her good cheer and gentleness puts most people
at ease and they naturally tend to return the favour. I have to recount the
instance when we were getting her passport renewed. After an interminable wait
we had our turn with the passport officer nearing lunchtime. To say he looked
fed up, irritated and hungry was putting it mildly. Damini just walked up to
him, smiled, and said “good afternoon uncle”. It was astonishing how that man
just melted from a grouch to this genial ‘uncle’ in seconds. He made small talk
with her, introduced her to all the other equally jaded officers as his
‘friend’ and fast tracked the rest of the process. I wish I had captured that
instance. Most people respond with the same ease and good cheer that she brings
to her interactions. Most importantly they lose the tendency to be self
conscious and wary about how to interact with her.
I find that she has this remarkable
ability to filter out any negative emotional baggage from most situations. She
has developed her own way of dealing with situations that are upsetting. Her
reaction is any one or combinations of the following: a mild scowl, withdraw
and recoup by giving herself a pep talk (sometimes audible), call me and tell
me she is ‘happy’.
Whatever the reaction it lasts only
for a few moments, the instance put behind and she has moved on. Even better is
the blessed ability to be completely oblivious to the existence of sarcasm,
ridicule, or rejection. They lose their capacity to hurt when they don’t exist
at all.
While there are stray incidents of
genuine distress, or walking out of work early, or landing up at home with a
birthday gift in November when her birthday is in August, they are nothing that
has alarmed us enough to doubt the wisdom of our decisions. Meanwhile Damini
continues to looks forward to each day with excitement.
As for me, while I have celebrated
this transition every step of the way, I am truly envious! I am envious of the
fact that she has purpose in life while I’m waiting for mine to reveal itself. I
am envious that she has a paying job and I don’t. And I absolutely covet her
relationship with life...that of being best buddies!









I am so proud of you and Damini
ReplyDelete❤️
DeleteI was one of the people she interacted with during Velvi. Reading your post makes me so happy that Damini is doing so well. Her being 21 is a lovely milestone, but you are equally an important force in her life. You made her meet the right people and gave her an opportunity to be herself.
ReplyDeleteGod bless this beautiful child and mom duet!
Lots of love to Damini!
Anusha
👍
DeleteHats off to u and hugs to damini. There's so much we can learn from her
ReplyDelete❤️
DeleteDamini, the most positive, happy person we’ve ever known. The joy and endless energy she exudes is unbelievable!
ReplyDeleteLove you both Sandhya and Damini.
❤️
DeleteWhat a wonderful read!! So good to hear about Damini, and all the incredible stuff she is upto these days!
ReplyDeleteCheer! Much love.
Ajai
👍👍👍🏼
DeleteLove you Damini.Seeing you dance and sing for the whole evening, I learnt come what may, best way to deal with life is to let the free spirit prevail. Dance away Damini.you give people around you a reason to smile!
ReplyDelete👍🏼
DeleteVery touching Sandhya.. you both are amazing!! Lovely to see Damini blossom and not be contained by boundaries...
ReplyDelete❤️
DeleteSandy, you are the wind beneath Damini's wings. Kudos to you and her!
ReplyDelete❤️❤️❤️
DeleteLoved reading this...and am practicing to keep up with her on the dance floor next time we party! Asha sanjay
ReplyDeleteDearest Damini, I've known you as a strong and independent soul from the time I met you as a little doll who would fit perfectly on my lap. I'm so happy for you.
ReplyDeleteWowww...this article is so beautifully written. Thanks nirupama for sharing it. When the words are so genuine and wonderful, I can only imagine the amount of joy and enthusiasm damini brings out in you. Damini...keep spreading love. and Sandhya, take a bow lady. Your efforts behind this nothing less. Made my morning...God bless
ReplyDelete